Friday 13 January 2012

Trapped In Wax


I've always been fascinated by waxworks. In fact, fascinated is too weak a word - I'm obsessed with them. My favourite is the first I ever went to, Louis Tussaud's in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

I first visited it when I was about five or six and it made an indelible impression on me. I've been back about thirty times over the years and I still love it - a constant in a turbulent world. It occasionally gets some negative, sneering publicity as the 'worst waxworks in Britain', but this is grossly unfair - yes, the displays are out of date, and some of the newer figures are poorly executed, but, for the most part, it's full of excellent likenesses - and it has a unique atmosphere, providing a snapshot of a popular entertainment / museum where you are just expected to gawp and be entertained, not get all interactive and educated. I love it to bits.

If I ever do and win the lottery, I shall buy the place and keep it open forever.

In this new feature, you'll get to meet some of the residents, starting with Steptoe & Son.

3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of an Amicus film set. Totally unique atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are passable likenesses only once hipped to who they are meant to be - otherwise they are shit, but I dare say that's part of the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went there last year whilst on holiday in GY: beautiful yet creepy house... and the Chamber of Horrors: absolutely effing terrifying!

    ReplyDelete