Sunday 17 February 2013

Interesting Postcards


Fistral Bay Hotel
Pentire, Newquay, Cornwall
The Superb Heated Swimming Pool

I don't think that swimming pool looks superb at all. I think the whole area looks like a cramped, concrete holding pen for holidaymakers too scared to leave what the owners no doubt describe as 'The Complex'.

It's like something out of J.G Ballard: limited space and too few sun loungers leads to territorial tussles and simmering resentment and when the concrete bridge across the pool gets wet it becomes a death trap and civilisation breaks down completely. On the plus side, the seven foot wall blocks some of the traffic noise and the water temperature is a steady four degrees centigrade.

I think I'm going to write to 'Watchdog'. Was it on in 1979?

1 comment:

  1. Haha you're right, very Ballardian! My parents used to holiday in and around Newquay, indeed all over Cornwall, in the 70s. I wonder if they went there and if they could put in a long overdue claim?

    ReplyDelete